My name is Cassy, and I am the founder of FATCO! I have a one-year old little boy named Maxwell and I know how important the consumption of fat is for his development. So, when the team at Serenity Foods asked me if I’d like to do an IG takeover a few months ago and talk about the benefits of FAT, I was super excited!
The team over at Serenity often talks about the benefits of your little ones eating healthy fats! fat is essential for the development of the brain, nerves and eyes. Fat is used in the body as fuel and helps the body absorb the fat-soluble vitamins, A, D, E and K. But did you know that FAT is also important for your little one’s skin health, as well???
But let’s face it…most babies don’t care about how their skin Looks!
But the reason that we should care about their skin is that their skin is a vital organ! That’s right, just like their heart, their kidneys and their lungs, their SKIN plays a vital role in their health! and their skin is a really great indicator of their overall internal health!
So, today we're bringing you...
- Your cells are MADE of FAT! essential fatty acids like Omega-3 and Omega-6 are the building blocks of healthy cell membranes. They provide your skin with structure, and they affect cell membrane properties, such as fluidity, flexibility and permeability.
- Fat protects us from the SUN! proper consumption of Omega 3’s can help improve your body’s own ability to protect itself from the sun. and, consuming healthy fats can actually help your little one’s body to synthesize vitamin D3 naturally from sun exposure! I recommend spending about 5-15 minutes every day outside with your son or daughter, without any sunscreen!
- FAT Helps your body’s immune response- the less fat our skin cells contain, the less it’s able to protect the body from outside invaders. Research has shown that skin issues like eczema and psoriasis can actually be linked back to dietary issues (like, not consuming enough healthy fat). if you’re not eating enough healthy fats, your skin may appear dry, itchy, dull.
- FAT helps your body to absorb Vitamins! some Vitamins, like A, D K and E, are fat soluble. this means that you body can’t really absorb and use them without FAT. these vitamins are extremely important for skin health…so if you’re not consuming these vitamins with Fat, then your skin could be suffering.
- FAT Helps your body to regulate temperature- one of the key roles of your skin is temperature regulation, and inadequate amounts fo dietary fat can harm our body’s ability to regulate it’s body temperature. This is extremely important for babies and toddlers!
- FAT Helps support a healthy microbiome- and when I say microbiome, I don’t mean the bugs in your gut…I mean the bugs on your SKIN! That’s right, every single one of us has a layer of beneficial bacteria that lives on the surface of our skin! If you don’t eat enough fat, your body cannot produce enough Sebum (or oil/lipid barrier) to support this layer of beneficial bacteria! This bacteria protects us, in so many ways.
So, how do we incorporate more FAT into our baby’s life?
We obviously want to feed them healthy fats. Things like avocados, almonds & walnuts, healthy cooking oils (coconut, EVOO, animal fats), and fatty fish (like salmon & mackerel) all provide great dietary fats!
And since I'm such a busy mom, I love having access to Serenity Foods pouches, because it allows me to ensure that Max is getting adequate healthy fats in every single meal.
And since your little one’s skin is an organ, and it absorbs everything that you put onto it, “consumption” can actually also mean “application!”
So, using natural skincare products that also contain fat on your children can help them with all the things I previously mentioned!
At FATCO, we specialize in making natural and organic skincare products using tallow, AKA rendered beef fat from grass-fed, pasture raised cows.
We use animal fats because they are the most structurally similar to the sebum (or oils) that are naturally produced by our own skin. Grass-fed tallow is also high in Vitamins A, D, K and E, all super important for skin health! Yes, plant-based fats are Great for your skin…but using animal fats topically is incredibly healing & nourishing for your baby’s skin. And as an added bonus, they're also great for eczema and psoriasis, dermatitis, cradle cap, and keratosis pilaris.
*This blog post may contain affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, you won't pay any more, but we'll receive a small commission, which "helps us to keep the lights on"! But please know that we only share affiliate links for products that we truly love, and use personally! Thanks!